If hot chocolate is a hug in a mug then chocolate rice pudding is a bear hug in a bowl.
I have gone from detesting rice pud to absolutely adoring it. Maybe because I don’t treat it as a dessert now but a standalone snack. It is filling, warming and comforting. My favourite flavour is simply rice, milk and sugar but this chocolate one is a little weekend indulgence.
Chocolate Rice Pudding
~ serves 6
100g pudding rice
50g caster sugar
1200ml low-fat milk
30g cocoa powder
1. Preheat the oven to 150C (130C Fan). Place the rice and sugar in a buttered ovenproof dish.
2. Mix 100ml of the milk with the cocoa powder until it forms a paste. Gradually mix in the remaining milk.
3. Pour the chocolate milk over the rice.
4. Cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve in individual ramekins with a dollop of strawberry jam.