Ah you just can’t have enough hazelnuts. Well actually you can but when they come in crispy sweet praline they are rather difficult to resist. It being Lazy Sunday, we decided to make a few buns to pass a rainy morning.
This recipe is adapted from Susannah Blake’s Cupcakes with some lazy tweaks. The cupcakes are very nutty, not too sweet with a faint coffee taste lurking in the background.
Coffee, Praline and Nutella Buns
~ 12 buns
- 80g caster sugar (praline)
- 80g hazelnuts (praline)
- 40g caster sugar
- 115g butter, at room temp
- 2 eggs
- 80g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
- 3 – 4 tbsp Nutella to decorate
1. To make the praline, put the sugar in a small saucepan and heat gently until pale golden brown. Stir in the hazelnuts working quickly as this sets unbelievably quick. Spread out onto a sheet of greaseproof and allow to harden. This is sooo good so once it’s cooled to eating temp, be sure to have some.
2. Grind the praline in a food processor or in batches in pestle and mortar. You can leave some big-ish chunks so there is crunch in the bun and the topping.
3. Preheat to 180C and line a bun tin (12 hole) with paper cases.
4. Cream the sugar and butter. Then stir in all but 3 tbsp of the praline.
5. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Sieve in the flour and baking powder, folding gently.
6. Finally stir in the coffee. Fill the bun cases 3/4 full and bake for approx 15 mins.
7. Allow to cool on a wire rack before decorating.
8. Now for the tricky bit (not!). Spread each cupcake with some Nutella, then sprinkle over the ground praline.